Sunday, March 28, 2010

READING UP ON REAL ESTATE

Some first time home buyers really do their home work. They read books, and the news and learn as much as they can about the home buying process. Some even watch television shows about buying a home. There are plenty of books about getting rich in real estate and of course all you have to do is "follow these simple steps", and plenty of books about how to buy a home.

I don't think much of most of the books that I have seen, but if I didn't know anything about the home buying process I would consider reading one to get started. That is what I did when I had my first child, I bought a how to book.

The problem with the books is that real estate is local. The laws and contracts are regulated on the state level. General business practices are not the same in each market either. The books are pretty generic and they try to cover situations that most Oklahomans will never encounter while at the same time missing important parts of the process in this state.

There is a great guide for Oklahoman home buyers that's free and on the internet, published by the Oklahoman Real Estate Commission. It may not be a literary master piece or have the drama of the television shows about buying a home, but it is packed full of useful information about buying a home in Oklahoma. Find it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment